Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Arlin Officially Named to College Baseball Hall of Fame

The College Baseball Foundation officially announced today that Steve Arlin, the great Ohio State pitcher who led the team to its only national title in 1966, has been selected to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame in Lubbock, Texas. Arlin is a member of just the third class to gain admittance into the Hall.

“I feel privileged and honored to be a part of college baseball's elite,” Arlin said in a statement released by Ohio State. "And representing Ohio State and the Big Ten makes this all the more special for me since those days were some of the best in my life, spent with some of my closest friends. We shared that wonderful moment in time and came away with the best of memories."

When I made this post earlier today I wanted to write more but didn't have time. I made the nomination of Arlin two years ago when I worked in the Ohio State Athletics Communications office and thought he was a lock into the Hall's first class. When he was overlooked again last year, I thought it was an obvious snub of northern baseball. Arlin was and still is a class act and is more than deserving of this honor. I'm sad to see it have taken three years, but thankfully his college career has been recognized. It would be great to visit Lubbock when he is enshrined July 4.

2 comments:

furrer4heisman said...

why is the college baseball hall of fame in lubbock? did pocatello say no?

rockybuckeye said...

Arlin is deserving. Probably the most overlooked Buckeye in athletics history. What he did relative to others in NCAA baseball history, and OSU baseball is unreal. What pitcher nationally now could have back to back CWS showings like Arlin? Amazing feats he had.