Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Buckeye Nine Q&A with Dan DeLucia


Ohio State senior pitcher Dan DeLucia made his return from Tommy John surgery to start the season opener Feb. 22 vs. Arkansas State at the Service Academies Spring Classic in Millington, Tenn. What made the outing special was not that it was his third opening-day start, but that he made his return 10 months and 12 days after undergoing surgery April 10, 2007. It typically takes 12-15 months to bounce back after the surgery, which repairs the ulnar collateral ligament.

Anyone who knows DeLucia knows he possesses the strongest work ethic on the team, still many, including himself, were shocked to see the only three-time Ohio State captain start on opening day. After an ambitious rehab program, the cold temperatures in Tennessee made it hard to stay warm and loose during the game. He pitched 4.0 innings, allowed one run on five hits and fanned two of the 17 batters he faced. Ohio State won 7-3.

The last time Ohio State was in College Station, the Buckeyes were playing in the 2007 NCAA regional after winning their eighth Big Ten tournament title and DeLucia was filling in as the color analyst on the radio broadcasts. This time he is slated for the Friday night start against the Aggies, who dashed dreams last June, ending the Buckeyes’ season with a 10-4 win.

This time though, they will have to face DeLucia.

B9: How did it feel to be back on the mound?
DD:
“It felt really good to be out on the mound again. After having to wait pretty much a whole year, there was plenty adrenaline flowing. There were mixed feelings of anxiety and nervousness, but once I faced a few batters, I seemed to settle in.”

B9: When did they tell you to expect to be back?
DD:
“The doctors said that I would be able to throw competitively again around spring break. It is a 9-12 month recovery for Tommy John surgery, but people are rarely throwing full go to batters at 9 months.”

B9: Describe your rehab? What made it so aggressive?
DD:
“My rehab took an average of an hour a day, five days a week. The protocol says to only rehab every other day, but in my unique situation, I tried to speed up the process and did it five times a week. The rehab consisted of various shoulder exercises that try to strengthen the labrum and rotator cuff. There isn’t really any rehab for the elbow except for forearm lifts. The common misperception about Tommy John recovery is that they tighten the actual ligament in your elbow. While they restructure it, they don’t actually make it tighter than before. The rehab got very boring at times, but I knew that it had to be done in order for my comeback to be a success.”

B9: What did the trainers/coaches say when you told them you wanted to pitch opening day?
DD:
“I don’t think they were that surprised because they knew how hard I worked the past year, but they still wanted to stay on the precautionary side. Before they were to actually let me throw, they wanted to see me throw against live hitters at a full go pace.”

B9: What was your pitch count against Arkansas State?
DD:
“I threw 54 pitches, which was right around the amount I was looking for in the first outing.”

B9: How did it feel when you were done pitching?
DD:
“After I came out of the game my arm felt tired and a little sore in the elbow, which is expected I guess after 10 months of not facing another team. Also, it was pretty cold during the game, so that made it more difficult to keep it warm and loose throughout the game.”

B9: Did you surprise yourself?
DD:
“I guess I did surprise myself a little bit, since I have only been throwing live to batters for a few weeks. I was just happy that I still have confidence in my pitches and abilities when I’m on the mound. I’m glad that I was able to battle out of tough situations, which shows that even though I was out for nearly a year, the mental part of the game for me is still strong.”

B9: When will you pitch next?
DD:
“I am scheduled to start on Friday against Texas A&M, which will be a big test considering the atmosphere and team we’re competing against.”

B9: What will the pitch count be?
DD:
“My pitch count will be pretty similar to my first outing. My target is around 50-55 pitches, and if it feels pretty good, then I might go five or 10 more.”

B9: When do you expect to be full-go?
DD:
“Hopefully I will be able to pitch full-go without a pitch count after spring break. The way that I’m gradually working my pitch count up should put me in good position for the beginning of the Big Ten season.”

B9: Obviously you have your mind set on a Big Ten championship and a regional berth, but what do you hope to accomplish on a personal level this season?
DD:
“On a personal level, I want to get to the point where I was my junior year. I felt that I had good command of my pitches and my confidence in my arm was very strong. Also, it might be a reach, but I always want to strive for being the Big Ten Pitcher of the Year, an All-American, and an Academic All-American. Those are great honors to have and I know if I can reach them then I can say that all the hard work for me paid off.”

2 comments:

BaseballBucks33 said...

It is great to see Dan work so hard to come back for this season. He is such an important part of the pitching staff. A healthy Dan DeLucia makes the staff better as a whole. The few times, i have talked to him, he seems like
such a great kid. I hope he has a great season ,because he deserves it for all the hard rehab he did last year. Great job,Dan! Hope his little brother,Brian can return to the lineup,this weekend. I think i read he, hurt his groin Saturday, running the bases.

Go Bucks!

cousin vinnie said...

Dan this is your cousin Vinnie. Have a great season and its good to hear you are back! Your Dad keeps me informed here in Arizona, and both you and your brother are top notch players.
These guys come from a family of athletes and there isn't any questioning toughness or leadership. Take care and go Buckeyes.